Skip to main content

Critical Response

Dear Professor Blackstone,


Below is my critical reflection which includes my module and project learning experiences.


Module Learning

When I had just started the module, I had assumed that the content and method of teaching would be similar to what I had learnt during my polytechnic study. This was because the aim of the previous module and UCS had more or less the same goal, which was to improve communication and writing skills.


However, during my time in UCS for the last 13 weeks, I have gained valuable knowledge different from what I had expected and experienced in polytechnic. I have learnt how to write my reports in a more concise and organised manner by making sure my thesis and content were aligned with each other. I learnt how to better search for my content as well, using Google scholar or SIT’s OneSearch function for more academic articles.


With regards to communication skills, I have also learnt how to deliver my content in a more confident and effective manner by being aware of my content and revising before the actual presentation.


Project Learning

Moving on to project learning, I was exposed to people management as the leader of my group. I have made attempts to gather the group for meetings and discussions, as well as find ways to recap with group mates who were unavailable. This taught me how to be patient and understanding, and also prepare for unforeseen situations when things do not go as planned.


During the project, I was able to hone my report writing skills as learnt through reader response. I was also able to train up my communication and presentation skills as mentioned above in my module learning due to the presentation required for the project. 


Although, one of the most interesting things I have learnt during my project was the making of slides such that they would be more comprehensible and attractive for listeners. Such changes to the slides that I usually make would be to have less words, as listening and reading words are known to be processed in the same part of the brain. Additionally, using visual aid in terms of photos or graphs create a much better or relatable representation of the content I would be presenting.


Wrapping up, the skills and knowledge I have gathered are really useful and I look forward to how it will impact my future writings and presentations.


Thank you, Prof.


Best regards,

Isaac Lee


Comments

  1. Thanks much, Isaac, for the reflection and for many positive classroom contributions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Letter Introduction (Assignment 1a)

Dear Professor Blackstone, My name is Isaac Lee and I am writing to introduce myself as your student in your critical thinking and communication module. My educational background includes being a graduate from Ngee Ann Polytechnic, with a diploma in mechanical engineering. Growing up, I found myself fascinated by 3D computer-aided graphics shown in some television series by National Geographic. They gave much more details to explore and understand in comparison to simply hearing a narrator explain. On top of that, I enjoyed creative problem solving that had an element of tinkering involved as well. Further along, when I saw new construction projects or technological breakthroughs, the whole prospect of innovation and advancement excited me. Thus, I came to the conclusion that engineering was the right fit for me. In my area of weaknesses, my biggest struggle is my capacity to speak in front of a random audience, large or unfamiliar. This is usually due to me being greatly stressed over

Interpretation of the Quote

“While all engineers should have good communication skills, global engineers face additional challenges, making effective communication an imperative.” Debra Kraft, Careers Content Writer, Demand Media (2016)   My Interpretation of this quote:  Global engineers face more language barriers and cultural differences as compared to engineers who work locally mainly.  Thus, although engineers need to have good communication skills to communicate ideas effectively. Global engineers have the added challenge of needing to understand more social and cultural norms in the location they are working in.